With warmer weather comes big dessert responsibility. You definitely don’t want to be slaving over a hot oven all day and you probably aren’t opting for something as rich as pecan pie. That’s why this simple and non time-consuming Panna Cotta Tart is perfect these newfound warmer weather days. May is also the perfect time for blood oranges and you will be thanking these caramelized blood oranges for their ease and tastiness. With just a few key ingredients and 40 minutes time you could be sitting outside enjoying this tasty tart and the beautiful weather.
What you need:
For the ricotta filling:
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the caramelized blood oranges:
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 3 blood oranges, thinly sliced
For the crust
- A simple store bought pie crust will do
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After the oven has pre-heated, cook your pie crust until golden brown.
- Place 1 cup of the caster sugar on a tray. Press the blood orange slices into the sugar and place on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cook, turning halfway, for 15 minutes or until caramelized. Set aside.
- To make the ricotta filling, place the ricotta, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 4–5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spoon the filling into the tart. Top the tart with the blood orange, drizzling with the syrup from the tray. Enjoy!