Sometimes my desire for coffee can lead to quite some imaginative creations. And when I say sometimes I mean now. The other day, I was craving a latte but I had no desire to leave the house. It was quite the predicament; venture out and get that perfect creamy latte that I wanted or stay home and curl up with a homemade cup of coffee. Obviously I chose the latter. I decided to be a bit creative and make a honey lavender latte with just a few ingredients. Now, I just happened to have been making lavender cupcakes for my birthday and so I had some lavender extract laying around. It’s not easy to come by but I got mine from Sur La Table. I have a feeling I’ll be cooking a lot with lavender in the next couple of months. Anyways, here is a simple delicious latte recipe that you can whip up at home, you know, for those days when you can’t rack up the courage to leave home. There are a few things you’ll need:
- 1/8 teaspoon of lavender extract
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- coffee beans: mine were a Valentine’s day gift from Harry 🙂 It’s Stone Creek’s special Valentine’s day roast but whatever you have works fine too
- milk frother, you can also use a whisk
- 1/2 cup of milk, I used whole milk
- and some kind of coffee making mechanism, I use a percolator when I want to make lattes, etc.
Follow these simple steps:
- brew the coffee to your liking
- pour the milk into a liquid measuring cup and heat up in the microwave or heat up the milk on the stovetop,
- whisk or froth the milk until it has a frothy consistency about half way through
- add the lavender extract and honey to the bottom of your cup and mix them together
- pour the coffee into the cup and stir together
- start to add the milk slowly to save the frothy part for the very top of the latte
- sip and enjoy
And there you have a delicious homemade honey lavender latte. It has a very subtle flavor of lavender with a bit of sweetness and it’s great to enjoy on a lazy afternoon, curled up on the couch with a good book or magazine.