As I had stated in a previous post, I had designed, crafted and built a bookcase with the help of Harrison and my Stepdad. This is the moment you’ve (mostly just me) all been waiting for! I was much anticipating making this post to tell you all about this bookcase meets credenza mash-up that we had worked so hard on. Basically, I am obsessed with furniture design and anything that is midcentury modern, so is Harrison. Our mutual love of midcentury modern design got us thinking about building the perfect piece of furniture that we couldn’t find anywhere. We needed something to hold some of our books (what is shown is about 1/4th of our collection), a growing record collection and be the perfect size, especially for our turntable. Let me take you on the journey of building this beautiful “Turn Table’s Keeper.”
This past May, I sat down to build a design plan for what would become our perfect “Turn Table’s Keeper.” This is what I came up with. The outside shelves allow records to be perfectly nestled while allowing room for an expanding collection. The middle shelves are perfectly sized to hold your average paperback book. It was really important that our turntable and sound system would fit on our piece for the sake of uniformity hence the name “Turn Table’s Keeper.” After we tackled the functionality of the piece, I decided to include some midcentury modern criterion for the design part of the project. By sticking with clean and symmetrical lines in combination with the curved spindle legs, I achieved a classic midcentury modern look.
Fast forward a few months later when Harrison and I went to my parent’s house for the weekend. With the help of my Stepdad, master craftsperson, and his hefty supply of plywood and tools, Harry, Stepdad and I finally constructed our piece over the span of two days. After countless hours of wood cutting and sanding we had a beautiful box. A lot of hard work was put into this part and I can’t thank Harry and my Stepdad enough. After that we took our beautiful box back to Milwaukee.
It wasn’t finished yet though. We still had to order the legs and apply the wood stain and polyurethane. This was probably our least favorite part of the process due to the fact that breathing in the fumes of wood stain and polyurethane over the span of a few days is exceptionally nauseating and headache causing. But we persevered and in the end this is what we got out of it. It has done wonders for our space but most importantly it is something that we created with our own hands for ourselves and the rewards of that are truly unimaginable.
Let us know what you think of it; we’d love to know!